Sheffield Classical Association
The pictures speak for themselves: from a 1736 map of Sheffield in the City Library Archives. It shows that Latin has been taught in this city for ever! Long may that continue.
After some research this morning on her 'Google machine', Rosemary Hulse has discovered this comment, in answer to a query about Campo Lane:
In Gosling's map of Sheffield, 1736, it is called 'Camper Lane.' The same map shows the position of the old 'Latin School,' or Grammar School, and the 'Writing School.' These schools were at a very short distance from Campo Lane, and it seems probable that here the game of football was played. The Grammar School was founded in 1603. The Prompt. Parv. has Campar or pleyar at footballe, pedipilusor.' In Brinsley's Grammar Schoole: 'By this meanes also the schollars may be kept euer in their places, and hard to their labours without that running out to the Campo (as they tearme it) at school times, and the manifolde disorders thereof; as watching and striuing for the clubbe, and loytering then in the fields.'
Sheffield branch of the Classical Association, founded in 1920