'In 1903 W. C. F. Anderson, Professor of Classics since 1890, resigned to become Educational Secretary to the Berkshire County Council. He had taken an active part in College life and had done much work outside it, as a member of the School Board and later the Sheffield Education Committee, and as a Lieutenant in the Volunteer Royal engineers (G Company), and his many travels in east Europe and Asia Minor and his skill as a photographer had made him a most acceptable popular lecturer. He was succeeded by Walter Coventry Summers, a fine scholar, but not the easiest of colleagues who was appointed as Professor of Classics and held that Chair, and the Chair of Latin into which it was converted, from 1903 to 1930'. taken from Arthur W. Chapman (1955) The Story of a Modern University: A History of the University of Sheffield.
Professor Anderson seems to have been interested in Education in the widest possible sense of the word, actual to spread knowledge of the Classical World at all levels and in all the forms then available to him:
Sheffield branch of the Classical Association, founded in 1920